Sage SALT R8 // Saltwater Fly Rod
Sage SALT R8 Fly Rod
Discover the Sage SALT R8, one of the best saltwater fly rods of all time. Built with precision and dependability in mind, its reliable and durable design allows you to maintain optimal control and accuracy at all times.
While saltwater locales often move slower, the fishing is faster, the pressure more intense and the variables more variable. From wind, weather and tides to spooky fish, seasonal migrations and salty guides, it’s a different game with a different set of rules in venues that range from tournaments and Grand Slam flats to legendary bonefish lodges and hushed redfish beaches. The shots are fewer, the stakes are higher and seconds matter in sight fishing. By the third false cast, your time—at least for that fish—has passed.
But more than just delivering a fly on demand, saltwater sight fisheries necessitate a different tool than what works for your standard trout stream. A rod that loads quickly and predictably, a sweet spot more intuitive to feel. More strength to land fish quicker and more touch for precision short shots. A more durable rod that is built to survive both long skiff runs and remote destinations - where broken rods are absolutely heartbreaking. A precisely honed taper that will ensure your fly is presented in the right place at the right time.
Most salt rods are built for pure power and ultimate strength—that is table stakes for the venue and the discipline. With our new R8 graphite, adding 25% more strength-per weight was the easy part—a simple function of material advancement—but one that also increased the fight in the rod even down to our six-weight. We increased the pure pulling power without the need to add more material, fillers or reinforcement. The outcome is simple, providing the ability for faster landing times and reducing fish stress and catch and-release pressure on ever so delicate ecosystems.
More strength and fight were an obvious upgrade, yet few salt rods, especially in the heavier weights, achieve the importance of feel for fine touch shots and precise presentations. Shaping a taper that brought this increased touch into the equation took more time. Yet after a long residence in the birthplace of saltwater fly fishing, and working directly with the experienced guides there, our rod designers found the right profile and fiber alignment that delivered strength, fine touch presentation, and a more intuitive sweet spot to a class of rods that have long had a reputation as unwieldy, unforgiving and difficult. With the SALT R8, gone are the days of sacrificing the feel and touch in your saltwater rod.
- 25% Greater Strength Per Rod - Greater Pulling power equals more fight for faster landing and less stress on delicate ecosystems
- Enhanced Durability - Enhanced toughness withstands more rugged situations and demands of remote travel • More Intuitive Sweet Spot - Prioritizes touch and speed for shorter shots and on-demand casts
- Saltwater Specific Guide Set - Fuji K-guides resist corrosion, while angled shape prevents snags and tangling in the chaos of the fight. Oversized chrome snake guides and tip-top allow larger saltwater knots to pass with ease.
- Heavy-Duty Reel Seat - Built for enhanced contact and confidence, heavy-duty reel seat and oversized locking rings keep reel tight to the rod for greater contact, rigidity, and a more direct connection when fighting powerful high-stakes fish
- Revolution 8 Technology
- Tempest Blue blank color
- Slate primary thread wraps with graduated White and Grey trim
- Premium Flor Grade Cork Handle w/EVA Butt
- Black rod bag with new cord lock for quicker, easier, and cleaner storage - Aluminum rod tube with Sage medallion
Specs and Grip Styles for the Sage R8 Saltwater Rods
|SALT R8 690-4||6||9'0"||Slim Full-Wells With Eva Fighting Butt||Tempest Blue||4||3 5/8oz||2055-690-4|
|SALT R8 790-4||7||9'0"||Slim Full-Wells With Eva Fighting Butt||Tempest Blue||4||3 13/16oz||2055-790-4|
|SALT R8 890-4||8||9'0"||Full-Wells With Eva Fighting Butt||Tempest Blue||4||4oz||2055-890-4|
|SALT R8 990-4||9||9'0"||Full-Wells With Eva Fighting Butt||Tempest Blue||4||4 1/8oz||2055-990-4|
|SALT R8 1090-4||10||9'0"||Full-Wells With Eva Fighting Butt||Tempest Blue||4||4 1/2oz||2055-1090-4|
|SALT R8 1190-4||11||9'0"||Full-Wells With Eva Fighting Butt||Tempest Blue||4||5oz||2055-1190-4|
|SALT R8 1290-4||12||9'0"||Full-Wells With Eva Fighting Butt||Tempest Blue||4||5 1/8oz||2055-1290-4|
|SALT R8 1290-4 FG||12||9'0"||Extended Full-Wells With Eva Fighting Butt||Tempest Blue||4||5 5/16oz||2055-1290-4FG|
|SALT R8 1586-4||15||8'6"||Extended Full-Wells With Extended Eva Fighting Butt||Tempest Blue||4||7 1/8oz||2055-1586-4|