Simms Tributary Pack Review & Essential Tackle for Beginners
Recently I grabbed one of our more affordable sling packs and decided to give it a go on a recent trip. Typically I've used a waterproof sling pack and for trout I'm about 50/50 on waterproof versus traditional cordura nylon type material.
The pro's and con's are if it keeps water out.... it keeps water in. From time to time whether its rain or an errant splash, I get moisture in my sling or backpack. It might even be a damp article of clothing. One zipped shut.... the water stays in and everything is vapor locked including any electronics.
So in freshwater I'm torn between the two options for materials on packs and bags. In saltwater I much prefer waterproof as we are typically in powerboats with some swell and wave splash... everything gets splashed. Plus saltwater can leave a grimy residue on everything so its nice to rinse your pack off with freshwater at the end of the day.
With all of this in mind, I used and reviewed the Simms Tributary Sling Pack and though it might be helpful to offer sort of a "Basic Essentials" combo to go along with it.
Simms Tributary Sling Pack
The Simms Tributary Sling Pack is an easy wearing, sized-right storage solution for productive days on the water. Plus it's under $90.
- Rugged and durable 600D recycled polyester shell fabric with 200D polyester liner
- Lightweight and simple construction mimics Freestone Sling without ambidextrous functionality – right shoulder only.
- Streamlined, smooth exterior makes for minimized line catch and less bulk
- Large main compartment, small zippered exterior accessory pocket
- Fully integrated net sheath with D-ring for utility leash attachment
- Fully functional and ergonomically shaped shoulder strap with tool attachment port and adjustable sternum strap
- 50% Recycled 600D Polyester with backside PU coating and face DWR treatment
- 200D Polyester Liner
Beginner's Sling Pack Combination Package - 10% OFF at checkout!
This combination includes the essentials that a beginner needs in order to get started in basic fly fishing. It is everything you need and nothing you don't. Feel free to continue shopping and add your favorite accessories to this basic package.
Beginner's Sling Pack Includes:
- Simms Tributary Sling Pack
- Tapered Leaders
- 3 Pack Trout Tippet Material
- Accessory Zinger
- Floatant for Dry Flies
- Effective Trout Flies
- Fly Box