- Joe Rotter, Red's Fly Shop
- 10 am - George Cook - "Send it Mega for Big Distance"
- 11 am - Joe Rotter - "Sink 'n Swim. A Lifting Presentation is Deadly"
- 12 pm - Simon Gawesworth - "A Proper Spey Cast"
- 1 pm - Steve Joyce - "Fish it. Don't Just Cast it."
- 2 pm - Tom Larimer - "Skagit. Why it's the Foundational Casting Style of Trout Spey"
- Demo Rods Available All Day
Indoor Seminars in the Lodge
- 10:30 am - Simon Gawesworth - "Tackle Time. All about lines, leaders, tips, and heads."
- 11:30 am - Roger Shearer - "Columbia River Spey Fishing for Shad."
- 1:30 pm - Joe Rotter and Patrick Kilby (RIO Chief Fly Designer) - "Trout Spey Fly Selection. What Fly and Why."
- 2:30 pm - Kevin Sloan of Skwala Gear - "Layering for Success. Managing Moisture and Warmth While Spey Fishing"
- 4:00 pm - Various Guest Speakers - "Tipsy Pro Tips" Happy Hour!
Single Hand Lawn Lessons
- 11:30 am - Eric Neufeld - Winston & Echo Fly Rods - "Long Casts Made Easy"
- 12:30 pm - Jason Atkinson - Beulah Fly Rods - "Slow Hands Make Better Casts"
- 1:30 pm - Jon Covich - T & T Fly Rods - "Beginner's Casting Done Right"
- 2:30 pm - George Cook - Sage Fly Rods - "How Not to Suck at Distance Casting"
Trout Spey Lessons All Day
There will be on-going lessons on two-handed casting ALL DAY! Most will be out on the river, lecture format, with a featured instructor teaching a skill, lesson, or specific technique. In addtion, there will be lots of rod, reel, and line setups from various manufacturers available to cast. Bring your waders and boots!
- March 25th, 2023 from 10 am - 3 pm - Just Show Up, no RSVP
- On the Water Seminars (schedule listed below)
- Unlimited Demo Rods
- Direct Access to Industry Pro's
- Destination Theater Seminars Indoor (schedule listed below)
- Unlimited Afternoon Fishing Potential
- Happy Hour "Tipsy Pro Tips" at 4 pm in Canyon River Lodge
Discussion and Group Fun
Clean family fun. That's what this event is all about. Bring your family to the Yakima River Canyon and watch some amazing casting and participate as much as you are comfortable. Our events attract a nice group of folks from the angling community and people always seem to enjoy themselves at Red's. Other than private lessons, the event is totally free. Combine the Trout Spey Clave with some DIY fishing, hiking, birding, or a fine lunch or dinner at Canyon River Grill.
"This is one of our best events. It's small, personal, and a huge win for the consumer. Learn free of charge from the friendliest pros."
Happy Hour Pro Tips - 4 pm
We are fortunate to have some gifted casters, speakers, and story tellers attending this event. At 4 pm we'll huddle in the lodge for a really fun "Tipsy Tips" happy hour where various industry pro's are invited to speak for up to 5 minutes on their unique fisheries, with some pro tips, and share what they are all about. It's quick, like speed dating. There is a hard cut-off time of 5 minutes before you get boo'd off the mic! It keeps things fun, fast, and we cover a lot of topics quickly.
These won't all be about trout spey casting, many will be saltwater or other destinations but all will be fun and worth hearing. Most will have some stunning photography and are available to chat and answer your questions 1:1. Beer and wine available for purchase.
We are so grateful for all the manufacturuers and sales reps that volunteer to make this event the best in the country! Support these brands.
- Skwala Gear
- Beulah Fly Rods
- OPST Fly Lines
- Scientific Anglers
- G Loomis
- Echo Fly Rods
- Winston Fly Rods
- Korkers Boots
The Friendly Pro Shop
This unique event is all about having fun, and hopefully getting a little more skill and knowledge. You won't find big egos, condescending attitudes, or any negative vibes here. Just good hosts that want to show you and/or your family a great time on our property along the Yakima River.
Our staff and the sales reps volunteering their time want you to first and foremost, have FUN. If we can do that it's a victory. If a new trout spey rig is for you it will only happen if you are enjoying the process of learning. That's our job. Make it both fun and productive. No sales pressure, no judgements on your casting. Just good postive vibes and a willingness to meet ya wherever you're at in your spey casting journey.