Ikari House Christmas Island // Trip Management Page
BOOKMARK THIS PAGE
COMPLETE GUEST PROFILE FORM AFTER BOOKING YOUR FLIGHTS
We use this page to provide all relevant updates. Complete the form at the bottom as soon as your flights are booked. We also recommend printing this page to include with your travel documents.
Update 3/19/22 - Opening Bookings for 2023!
"If you are booked here, we finally secured dates for 2023. Please check this page for updates, and be aware if we email you news, updates, or other information it will be stored here exclusively."
Required Travel Documents and Tests:
- Negative PCR Test Within 72 Hours of Final Flight
- Vaccine Card (minimum 2 doses)
- Release of Liability (attach when submitting the form below)
Links and Helpful Resources:
- Packing List and Currency Recommendations
- Emergency Contact Information: Joe Rotter (509) 929-1169 or Steve Joyce (509) 929-1803
You will need to be in Honolulu, Hawaii on Monday which is a full day before your next flight to Kiritimati (CXI). Flights depart Honolulu on Tuesday, but land in Kiritimati (CXI) on Wednesday due to the International Date Line. Same is true on the way back. You'll depart Kiritimati (CXI) on Wednesday, and be back in Honolulu on a Tuesday.
Booking Your Flight: We strongly recommend using a licensed travel agent. Having a professional to assist in sorting out situations with cancelled flights, delayed flights, etc. is sometimes essential. We use Jennifer @ CADENCE Travel.
Jennifer Kutzner - Direct: 858-551-4476 - Jennifer.Kutzner@cadencetravel.com
- Arrival Day - Land in Honolulu on Monday.
- Days 1 - Fly to Kiritimati (CXI), settle into your room and get ready for fishing the following day.
- Days 2-7 - Fish long full days.
- Departure Day - Depart CXI early morning (Wednesday), land in Honolulu on a Tuesday. Most anglers will depart Honolulu in the early afternoon for the US.
Lodging in Honolulu:
The host and most guests stay at the Ramada Plaza in Waikiki so they can walk to the beach and enjoy Waikiki for the afternoon. Guests need to secure their own reservations.
Ramada Plaza by Wyndham Waikiki
1830 Ala Moana Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 98165
Meetup and Hotel in Honolulu:
Guests are responsible for their lodging and ground transfers in Honolulu. Typically the host will arrange for a casual rendezvous at a brew pub type establishment and will send an invitation a few days before the trip for anyone that can make it. Not essential it feels nice to hook up with at least part of the big group.
Flying to Christmas Island CXI:
Guests at the Ramada can arrange a van pool and share the cost. Travelers flying out of Honolulu on Fiji Airways must be at the airport (3) hours prior to departure. Flight time is about 3.5 hours from Honolulu to CXI.
The CXI airport got a makeover several years ago, but with one flight per week the staff and systems are sluggish at best. Be patient and it's wise to have a bottle of water for waiting in line. Transportation to Ikari House will be ready, and it's easy to sort out which lodge after we get through customs.
Lodging at Ikari House:
Roommates will be paired up in advance of the trip, and single anglers will be paired up randomly. Single rooms are not guaranteed, but you can make a deposit and put in your request at the time of booking. Single rooms will be awarded in order of date/time booked.
Food and Drinks:
Beverage and food service is basic. Many anglers bring snack food to supplement their lunch, and if you enjoy a cocktail its wise to purchase a couple of bottles of spirits at Duty Free in Honolulu along the way.
- Not everything will run perfectly, it's Christmas Island. Roll with the punches.
- Fishing licenses are purchased at customs and are approximately $60 AUSD
- Drink water and electrolytes every day, monitor your intake
- Pack lighter than you think you need to
- Plan your footwear, break in your saltwater boots
- It's customary for the anglers to gift tackle or clothing to the guides at the end of the week.
- Bring a few children's gifts in your checked bag for the staff to take home to their children (small things like coloring books, crayons, and dollar store type toys)
Gratuities for the Guides
We will tip the guides directly in cash each day. The host will collect tips for the lodge/kitchen staff on the last night. We pool all of our tips for the lodge staff to insure every staff member is taken care of and every angler fully contributes.
- $30 per angler, per day for the guide.
- $5 per angler, per day for the boat driver
- $10 per angler, per day for the lodge staff
What to Expect from Your Host
The Red’s host is a liaison between guests and the outfitting destination. The host is there to act as the lead angler on the trip and help ensure that everyone has a great time. Historically, groups operate best when a friendly leader with an interest in your success is at the helm. The host will work with the lodge manager to oversee guide pairings, angler rotations, and is authorized to make decisions on behalf of the entire group.
When appropriate, the host may intervene and mix up guide rotations, angler pairings, and provide solutions if guests don’t feel the adventure is up to snuff. We just ask you to keep your expectations in check, consider the group as a whole, and be realistic with any special requests.
Guest Profile Form Submission
Guests must fill out this form as soon as flights are booked. Any changes to your itinerary, requires you to submit the complete form again through this channel.